Friday 11 April 2014

1). In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media product?

For my media production I chose to produce a music promo package. The song I chose for my music video was “Imagine Dragons – Radioactive”, which belong to a hybrid genre of Alternative Rock/Electric Rock. I decided to go against the mainstream music artists ideology and conventions; however, I did follow the rock conventions and challenge them at the same time. I had created a music video which do not follow the mainstream conventions and mostly reflects independent artist’s videos. My music video follows the conventions of independent artist’s videos and rock music videos by focusing on creating invented and emotional effect, same as the music has on audience. Whereas, the mainstream conventions focusing on presenting the favourite artist/band who perform the song. 
Commonly we can see in those videos abstract montage of clips, which are edited specifically to the beat of the song. Also, as such videos do not feature any form of performance by the artists, they reflects the emotions through the music. In my music video we can see that I did followed this specific convention, as I used the montage clips which reflect the beats in the music and regarding the artist, I am not using any performance.

By making the hue of my music video shadowy, I followed commonly known rock convention; which usually is quite dark but with the high contrast levels, in order to give the video an overall dark and edgy tone which I planned to achieve. 

Whereas, as I mention before I challenged the convention by using artistic view point, and do not showing my video through performance of the artist. The rock music videos are usually incredibly performance based, shots which are used covers the whole band playing, but still mainly focusing on the front vocalist. I decided that even as the song which I chose for my music video is played by band Imagine Dragons which do perform in their real video, I wanted to show the emotions which would highlight the tone of the song rather than present the performance of the band itself.

By using different layers on top of another, I needed to reduce the capacity of top ones in order to create ghosting effect which in my opinion reflects the feel of the music and its lyrics; by forming a fascinating and hypnotic outcome. This particular technique interest me and catch my eye thus influencing me to create an abstract layers which focus more on moving images rather than on artist. Such convention is not seen in common rock music video, but is more likely to be seen in independent artist’s videos. Even in narrative rock music videos many shots focus and present the band performing. 

Regarding the editing conventions which are used in rock videos, is usually snappy and fast paced to match the normal fast tempo of the song, but I have used the slow and fast motion effects which underline the particular parts from the song lyrics; like inhale and exhale the air. In my opinion, this creates a feeling behind the music and reflects the emotions of an artist who sang it. We can still see the Kevin’s face who inhales the smoke, which I have created by reversing the shot in which he exhale the smoke and add the layers on top of each other, reducing the capacity of the top one ending up with the planned result. 

I thought that I could present the ideology of the song behind the story of my music video. The creative way of showing the feeling of an artist at that moment and to let the audience feel the effect of the nightmare which he feels inside and outside himself.

I planned to create a metaphorical and surrealistic world in which he is watched and followed by antagonist character, who reveals to be him from the beginning at the end of the video. I wanted to give a sense of mystery by using antagonist character, which wasn't introduced to the audience and therefore gives an enigmatic look to my video. 

Moreover, as I planned from the beginning to create an abstract video, I can see that I also used a simple narrative story as it tells the audience what is going on in the video and how it should be interpreted. The rock music videos are also using narrative story lines however; it is very likely that they would show many shots of the band performing the song. I challenged this convention by creative an abstract video with artistic perspective which gives an audience the freedom to understand but also interpret my video form their own perspective.

Nonetheless, I do follow the convention of using the dark story line, which matches the dark sound of the music and deep meaning of the lyrics. Also, I used and at the same time challenge the conventions of costume which my character wears. In real rock music videos the performers are usually dressed completely in black clothing, appearing as stereotypical rock/metal listeners/performers with multiple piercings, dark makeup, and a dark and edgy demeanour. Whereas, I used more modernised style of dressing; jeans, black jumper, white t-shirt and black jacket, without use of any make up. However, the use of props in my video is conventional for rock music videos, as I am presenting my artist while he’s smoking what is well known and often seen in rock videos. 
In my opinion my music video is self-reflective, because we can see an extreme close ups in which Kevin is directly looking into the camera; creating direct eye contact with the viewers but at the same time he is aware of the camera which follows him what is postmodern. Then after he is closing his eyes in first seconds of the song we can see a long shot which reveals him walking from behind the camera which immediately draws the audience into its fictional nature of a nightmare, which I planned to achieve from the beginning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment