Friday 11 April 2014

3). What have you learned from your audience feedback?

I decided to show my video and ancillary texts to the variety of people in different age groups, but still focusing on my target audience. After I present my product to them I ask them to fulfil the questionnaire which would provide me with variety of answers and opinions about my product and what could be improved in them opinions. I wanted to attract a different kind of audience between the ages of 16-25 years-old.
My product targeted both a male and female audience, however, as the statistics from the questionnaires proved the females are more likely to be attracted by this kind of music genre and the artist who take part in it. On the begging of my research and planning I decided that by presenting the male artist I would be referring my product more to the female audience, so before starting to create my ancillary texts and my music video I showed the picture of Kevin to several females, asking them what they are thinking about his appearance. As a result I realise that they liked the way he looks, so I decided that I would make my product more appealing to them rather than males. By doing so I am going against the Laura Mulvey theory of a Male Gaze. She argued that females presented in the music videos are presented as a sexual object for pleasure of a man, whereas I am going against this theory, by presenting a man as a sexual object for a pleasure of female audience. 
Also, I had filmed a range of people who watched my video, as I thought that would be the most honest way of getting their opinions as their expressions would be more truthful. After their watch the video, they as well answered my questionnaire giving me a range of feedbacks from which I created an analysis and get the ideas what still should be evaluated and changed in both of my products. After analysing the questionnaire I decided to create a presentation in which I would analyse every single question and I would use the actual answers from filled questionnaire. 

From these feedbacks I learnt that the majority of an audience was able to distinguish the genre of my music video by the features I have used within my video. Also, they were able to state that my video had a story from the beginning till the end. They as well decided that both my music video and ancillary texts work well with each other by keeping continuity of noir theme and edgy tone. There were diverse decisions whether or not they’re would buy my album, but the majority answered yes to that question, what proved to me that my product could succeed in real life. 
When I asked the people about any possible improvement which could be made in order to make my music video better, the majority of people agreed that the recap which I am using at the end of my video should be fast-forward. But despite this fact all of them answered yes when I asked them “did you enjoy watching my music video”. 
After analysing the audience feedback I made the following changes to my music video to improve it. I fast-forward the recap and add additional shots which were mixed in order to avoid the montage effect, I had slowed down the water shots and made few cuts to the other shots to make the video matches the beat. Also, I used the white flashes instead of blackouts to match the fats tempo and beats which are highlight of this song. Finally, I replace the shots which were to dark and crashed the overall effect and change the ending by keeping the black and white style. After finishing any additional changes I updated and posted my video on my YouTube account.

 I personality think that my music video could be better if I would use better quality camera and do not shot in the dark as I had done in few scenes. And also instead of splashing the water on Kevin I could shot him draining in the water which I think would have a better impact on audience opinions.

Moreover, from my online pull questionnaire I found out that the majority of people who answered on my questions were females between the ages of 16-17. The same amount of votes achieves the pop/rock/metal/alternative and indie genre, which indicated my good choice of song genre as I targeted the planned audience. Also, as the biggest amount of votes achieved the mise-en-scene convention, I think that by using variety of locations and costumes I fulfil their needs. I have used the abstract story which reveals to be also narrative, I am pleased as majority of people choice narrative type of music video which they prefer to watch and as reveals in my promotional campaign questionnaire the audience were able to distinct the story in my music video. The YouTube get highest vote rate in terms of how people watch the music video, so after uploading my music video in my channel I am hoping it would prove its effectiveness. The black and white theme and both themes answers, achieved the same voting rate, what satisfied me as I am using the noir theme as a main in both of my products in order to keep the continuity between the products.
Concluding, after analysing both promotional campaign and online poll and end up with deduction that I am targeting the females in between the age of 16-20 year-olds and that I am up to date with the modern trends of alternative rock music as song radioactive is very popular and liked by my chosen audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment